ENGINEERED WOOD FLOORING LONDON : ENGINEERED WOOD
Engineered wood flooring london : Floor plans software.
Engineered Wood Flooring London
- Products made from lumber, veneers, strands of wood, or from other small wood and sometimes recycled plastic elements that are bound together with structural resins to form lumber-like structural products.
- Engineered wood, also called composite wood or man-made wood, includes a range of derivative wood products which are manufactured by binding together the strands, particles, fibers, or veneers of wood, together with adhesives, to form composite materials.
- Any restructured composite of wood, including oriented strand board, particleboard, and plywood.
- The boards or other material of which a floor is made
- building material used in laying floors
- (floored) provided with a floor
- floor: the inside lower horizontal surface (as of a room, hallway, tent, or other structure); "they needed rugs to cover the bare floors"; "we spread our sleeping bags on the dry floor of the tent"
- An industrial city in southeastern Ontario, Canada, north of Lake Erie; pop. 303,165
- the capital and largest city of England; located on the Thames in southeastern England; financial and industrial and cultural center
- The capital of the United Kingdom, in southeastern England on the Thames River; pop. 6,377,000. London, called Londinium, was settled as a river port and trading center shortly after the Roman invasion of ad 43 and has been a flourishing center since the Middle Ages.It is divided administratively into the City of London, which is the country's financial center, and 32 boroughs
- London is the capital of England and the United Kingdom. It is the largest metropolitan area in the United Kingdom and the largest urban zone in the European Union by most measures.
- United States writer of novels based on experiences in the Klondike gold rush (1876-1916)
St Paul's Cathedral
We decided to do the touristy thing and visit St Pauls. It is a remakarble building. I would love to have taken some pictures inside but that is not allowed. I'm not a religious man, but i did feel that it was a 'spiritual' place.The sheer size and immense space inside achieves it's purpose of making us feel small. It's easy to mock religion, and criticise the oppulence but it is in a way a memorial to our human weaknesses and so allows us to admit and confront these imperfections, and hopefully move on.
St Paul's Cathedral is the Anglican cathedral on Ludgate Hill, in the City of London, and the seat of the Bishop of London. The present building dates from the 17th century and is generally reckoned to be London's fifth St Paul's Cathedral, although the number is higher if every major medieval reconstruction is counted as a new cathedral. The cathedral sits on the edge of London's oldest region, the City, which originated as a Roman trading post along the edge of the River Thames. The cathedral is one of London's most visited sites.
There had been a late-Roman See in London, but the first Saxon cathedral was built of wood, probably by Mellitus or another of the Augustinian missionaries, on the see's re-foundation in AD 604 on Ludgate Hill in the western part of the old Roman city and the eastern part of Lundenwic. It was these missionaries' habit, as in mainland Europe, to build cathedrals within old Roman city-walls. This building is traditionally said to have been on the site of an ancient megalith, or stone circle, and a temple dedicated to the goddess Diana, in alignment with the Apollo Temple that once stood at Westminster, although Christopher Wren found no evidence of this (Kruger, 1943). This would have only been a modest chapel at first and may well have been destroyed after Mellitus was briefly expelled from the city by Saeberht's pagan successors. It burned down in 675.
The cathedral was rebuilt in stone, in 685. In it was buried King or Saint Sebbi of Essex. It was sacked by the Vikings in 961, as cited in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
The third cathedral was begun in 962, again in stone. In it was buried Ethelred the Unready. It burnt, with the whole city, in a fire in 1087 (Anglo-Saxon Chronicle).
The fourth St Paul's (known as Old St Paul's, a 19th-century coinage, or the pre-Great Fire St Paul's) was begun by the Normans after the 1087 fire. Work took over 200 years, and a great deal was lost in a fire in 1136. The roof was once more built of wood, which was ultimately to doom the building. The church was consecrated in 1240, but a change of heart led to the commencement of an enlargement programme in 1256. This 'New Work' was completed in 1314 - the cathedral had been consecrated in 1300. It was the third-longest church in Europe. Excavations in 1878 by Francis Penrose showed it was 585 feet (178 m) long and 100 feet (30 m) wide (290 feet or 87 m across the transepts and crossing), and had one of Europe's tallest spires, at some 489 feet (149 m).
By the 16th century the building was decaying. Under Henry VIII and Edward VI, the Dissolution of the Monasteries and Chantries Acts led to the destruction of interior ornamentation and the cloisters, charnels, crypts, chapels, shrines, chantries and other buildings in the churchyard. Many of these former religious sites in St Paul's Churchyard, having been seized by the crown, were sold as shops and rental properties, especially to printers and booksellers, who were often evangelical Protestants. Buildings that were razed often supplied ready-dressed building material for construction projects, such as the Lord Protector's city palace, Somerset House.
Crowds were drawn to the northeast corner of the Churchyard, St Paul's Cross, where open-air preaching took place. In 1561 the spire was destroyed by lightning and it was not replaced; this event was taken by both Protestants and Catholics as a sign of God's displeasure at the other faction's actions.
England's first classical architect, Sir Inigo Jones, added the cathedral's west front in the 1630s, but there was much defacing mistreatment of the building by Parliamentarian forces during the English Civil War, when the old documents and charters were dispersed and destroyed (Kelly 2004). "Old St Paul's" was gutted in the Great Fire of London of 1666. While it might have been salvageable, albeit with almost complete reconstruction, a decision was taken to build a new cathedral in a modern style instead. Indeed this had been contemplated even before the fire.
The task of designing a replacement structure was assigned to Sir Christopher Wren in 1668, along with over 50 other City churches. His first design, for a replacement on the foundations of the old cathedral, was rejected in 1669. The second design, in the shape of a Greek cross (circa 1670-1672), was rejected as too radical, as was a revised design that resulted in the 1:24 scale "Great Model" on displa
Marylebone Station: Melcombe Place
Marylebone Station is the most charming railway terminus in London, I'd never seen it until last Summer
Grade II listed. railway terminus. 1899. H. W .Braddock for Fox Engineers. Flemish Renaissance style. Red brick with buff terracotta dressing, slate roof. For the most part two-storeyed but with a raised central section above the arcaded passenger entrance. Asymetrical composition; canted block at west end with three bay block behind in Harewood Avenue return. Melcombe Place front characterised by dormers, gables, pyramidal turrets on square towers either side of central block. Round-arched windows on ground floor, straight-headed elsewhere, all with original joinery. Main tripartite entrance at east end faced with terracotta. Linked to hotel opposite by iron and glass porte-cochere. Boston Place: long wall flanking platform articulated into bays by vertical buttresses and recessed brick course.
Interior: red brick, terracotta, glazed white brickwork above cornice level. Booking office, of panelled oak, with booth openings. At the west end of the concourse, the Victoria and Albert pub with two bars: dark wood panelling, original curved bars and bar shelving, broad ornate plasterwork frieze, fireplace. Beyond the concourse, three train sheds: one spans 40 ft, the other two span 50ft. They are connected by a roof of five spans running transversely across the concourse. Columns and girders are all of steel. Long wall flanking platform articulated with round-headed niches.
Historical Note: Marylebone station, opened in 1899, was the last of the London termini to be built. It was constructed for the Great Central Railway by Sir Douglas and Francis Fox, engineers. The station is linked to the former Grand Central Hotel by an iron and glass covered way. Britsh Listed Buildings
laying out hardwood flooring
antique floor fans
raising floor level
virginia hardwood flooring
ranch home floor plan
floor plans software free
quikrete floor leveler
1 bhk floor plan
evidence for seafloor spreading
bamboo wood floor